Best Emergency Kits for Uber Drivers 2019
While you’re on the road, ‘emergency‘ isn’t exactly a word you want to hear. As long as you’re not hurt, that’s the main thing (check out our guide to Uber Accidents Here). Whether you have a flat tire or need a boost, being stuck on the side of the road can be pretty frustrating.
Although many emergencies are unexpected, that doesn’t mean you don’t have to be unprepared for a potentially problematic situation. Having a basic roadside kit on-hand, as well as some basic knowledge, can help you reduce your need for costly assistance roadside assistance.
What Should You Look For In a Roadside Emergency Kit?
Although you can build your own emergency roadside package, it’s generally more cost-effective and beneficial to purchase a kit that’s ready-to-go. Not only can it save you money, but these kits often include everything you need, ensuring that you don’t forget to include something critical.
At the end of the day, if you’re stuck at the side of the road and are not prepared, a bad situation can quickly become dangerous — especially when road conditions aren’t the greatest. Every driver should have an emergency kit on-hand…but as an Uber driver (and thereby a professional driver) you have an added responsibility to keep both you and your passengers safe.
When sourcing a kit, look for some or all of the following:
- Jumper cables — This item is obvious, as jumper cables could be the deciding factor between needing to get towed by a professional towing service (or not).
- Tire pressure gauge — Tire pressure is extremely important in terms of your safety. A simple gauge can determine whether or not you have a possible leak — or — on the other hand, a gauge may indicate whether your tires could have too much air in them.
- Tire puncture seal or inflator — For obvious reasons, puncture seals will critically helpful when your tire has a slow leak. If it’s safe to do so, you can seal the problematic area until you seek a more long-term solution.
- Gloves — If you need to get your hands dirty, it helps to have gloves available.
- Electrical Tape — If you notice a wire that is damaged or torn, you can apply electrical tape (if it is safe to do so).
- First aid kit — You never know when you’ll need a band-aid!
- Flashlight and batteries — If you get stuck at the side of the road when it’s dark, you’ll definitely need a reliable source of light. Getting a high-quality flashlight (with long-lasting batteries) is always a good investment.
Of course, if you’re ever in doubt about a possible live wire or any other potential safety concern, please do not try and fix the problem yourself. If you do not have the proper knowledge or experience, it’s always best to call a towing company or a roadside assistance company.
What Are Some of the Best Roadside Emergency Kits Available?
Now that you know what sort of items to look for, what options are available? You can find a wide selection of emergency roadside kits online, all featuring different & unique features. Purchasing one of these kits is a great investment and (although you may not think you need it now) no emergency is planned, right?
If you’ve been shopping around, why not check out the following:
1. DINSEN — Roadside Emergency Kit with Electric Hydraulic Jack and Inflatable Pump
Sure, this kit may be a little more costly than other options on the market, but…there’s a tangible reason for that.
This robust 3 in 1 combo includes a hydraulic jack, inflatable pump, and LED lamp. With the added benefit of an impact wrench, sleeves, battery clamp, gloves, and more, you will be safe knowing that you can tend to a leaking or flat tire with ease. Check this kit out here.
2. AAA — 42-Piece Emergency road Assistance Kit
Talk about value for your money — at less than $22, you will receive a kit that includes: booster cables, a flashlight, batteries, cable ties, fuses, duct tape, an emergency poncho, and more. Although this kit offers great value, it’s not ideal for more powerful vehicles (as the included-cables may not produce enough power). If you already have good cables, but need some extra ’emergency’ items, you can’t beat the price. of AAA’s 42-piece kit. Check it out here.
3. First Secure — 90-Piece Roadside Emergency Car and Truck Kit with Safety Tools
This best-selling kit will allow you to travel with peace-of-mind. Offering heavy duty 6 gauge and 10-foot jumper cables, you will ensure a more reliable boost. Accompanied by a 250 PSI air compressor; 8-piece tire repair kit; deluxe 48-item first aid kit; 11-foot, 10,000 LB limit tow strap; and more — you will have all the assistance you need, conveniently packaged in a carrier bag. Check it out here.
4. Picnic at Ascot — Auto Roadside Emergency Kit
With this 132-piece set, you will be able to travel with confidence. PAA’s Kit includes: tire pressure gauge; 10-piece nut driver set; 8-piece combo wrench; copper wire brush; electrical tape; 200-amp jumper cables; gloves; and more. With all of PAA’s kit elements, you will be well-prepared for some unexpected road turbulence or minor emergency. All parts with Picnic at Ascot’s case are also conveniently organized within a hard plastic case. Check it out here.
Finding the right kit for you ultimately depends on your particular level of expertise (and your personal confidence when it comes to basic auto repairs). Being an Uber driver, it’s important to understand some level of basic repair so that when you are in need, a small problem does not need to turn into a large cost. By investing in one of the kits above, you could essentially avoid a towing fee, mechanic fee, or both.