UberX vs Uber Black 2019
uberblack vs uberx 2019
What’s the differences between UberX and UberBLACK?
And what are the main upsides and downsides of each service?
UberX – Uber’s Regular Service
UberX is the most basic private car service that Uber has to offer, and it’s also Uber’s lowest-cost option. Uber X is very affordable, and is generally much cheaper than a traditional yellow cab.
The key features of UberX are:
- UberX cars hold a maximum of 4 passengers.
- UberX car types vary, but they are generally ordinary vehicles – along the lines of a Honda Civic, Toyota Prius or Hyundai Sonata.
- UberX vehicles are driven by private individuals who own or lease their own cars (i.e., UberX drivers are not commercial drivers – they are ‘independent contractors’ who pay a commission on each trip to Uber – but they are not technically employees of the company).
UberBLACK – Uber’s Premium Service
UberBLACK is Uber’s high-end car service. In many ways, UberBLACK is similar to UberX — however, it is a definite step up in terms of luxury and service quality. Unlike UberX, UberBLACK gives Uber customers access to professional private-car services — providing riders with a high-end chauffeur experience for a fraction of the cost. If you request an Uber BLACK car, you’ll be guaranteed a chauffeur who’s driving a black sedan, or a black SUV.
The key features of UberBLACK are:
- UberBLACK cars are generally luxury black sedans or premium SUVs (2012 or newer).
- UberBLACK cars usually accommodate 4 passengers (but a maximum of 6 passengers if a driver is driving an SUV).
- UberBLACK is a luxury service — the exterior and interior of all cars must be black.
- UberBLACK drivers must dress professionally (usually in a formal suit — similar to what you’d expect from a high-end private driver).
UberX vs UberBLACK – advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of UberX are:
- Price point. UberX is amongst the most affordable car services globally. For passengers, it’s tough to find a cheaper ride.
- Convenience. There are thousands of regular UberX cars on the road – meaning that, when you need a vehicle quickly, it’s likely that you’ll be able to receive a car in mere minutes.
The main disadvantages of UberX are:
- Non-professional drivers. As stated above, most UberX drivers are not commercial drivers – meaning that some customers might find the ‘UberX experience’ uneven, depending on a driver’s level of experience.
- Lower-end vehicles. UberX is Uber’s cheapest service, so there’s no guarantee that passengers will be picked up in a high-end vehicle (although it’s always possible that UberX passengers will be picked up in a high-quality or upper-end vehicle, despite paying regular rates).
- Questions of safety and insurance. There are ongoing debates about Uber’s vetting process of drivers (raising, in turn, questions about safety), as well as raising questions about insurance (i.e., passengers may not be as well insured compared to a regular taxi ride).
The main advantages of UberBLACK are:
- Professionalism. Unlike UberX, UberBLACK drivers must have commercial licenses. This means customers are more likely to have a trained driver & a more professional all-around service.
- High-end vehicles. UberBLACK vehicles must meet strict criteria in order to eligible to function on Uber’s BLACK platform. Thus, UberBLACK passengers can expect to enjoy a higher-quality vehicle, with leather interiors and more luxurious amenities.
The main disadvantages of UberBLACK are:
- Cost. Unlike UberX, UberBLACK passengers can expect to pay a (much) higher rate for UberBLACK, due to the services’ premium features and commercially-licensed drivers.
- Wait time. Because there are fewer UberBLACK drivers on the roads, users can (sometimes) experience a higher-wait time for a vehicle, especially when compared to UberX (which usually has a multitude of available vehicles in any given area).