Uber Los Angeles International Airport – Uber LAX
Below is a guide to using Uber at LAX — for both Uber passengers & Uber driver.
This guide has four sections:
- For Riders: Getting Picked Up by Uber at LAX
- For Riders: Getting Dropped Off by Uber at LAX
- For Drivers: Picking Up Passengers at LAX
- For Drivers: Dropping Passengers Off at LAX
1. Riders: Getting Picked Up by Uber at LAX:
Using Uber at LAX is now entirely legal & permitted by the Airport Authority.
The only service that is not currently allowed at LAX is UberPOOL (for pickups only — drop-offs allowed).
If you want to get picked up at LAX, simply follow these three steps:
- Open the Uber App. Select your desired Uber vehicle option.
- There are 8 main terminals at LAX. After you have requested a ride, confirm your location (you will be prompted by the Uber App). If you do not know your terminal location & number, head outside & check the signs. For rides with accessibility needs, they can be picked up at LAX’s ADA access zone (a Zone located on the Arrivals level).
- (1) Riders requesting UberX, UberXL, and UberSELECT must meet their drivers on the departures (upper) level. Locate the sign reading ‘Ride Service Pick Up’ and await your driver there.
- (2) Riders requesting UberBLACK, UberSUV, or UberLUX must meet their driver downstairs on the arrivals (lower) level.
Always contact your driver to confirm the correct pickup point.
2. Riders: Getting Dropped Off by Uber at LAX
It is now legal & permitted by LAX Airport Authorities for passengers to be dropped off at LAX by Uber.
All Uber Services drop-offs are allowed, including UberPOOL.
Simply request an Uber as you normally would, and input your chosen LAX terminal as your ultimate destination.
3. Drivers: Picking Passengers Up at LAX
LAX and Uber recently reached an agreement, allowing drivers to pick up passengers at the airpot. However, Uber Driver Must Obtain Clearance to Pick-Up Passengers at LAX.
Specifically, drivers now require an LAX Permit. To obtain this document, you must review two documents:
After reviewing both of these documents, you must take a quiz (the quiz will be emailed to you directly from Uber, once you have officially become an active driver).
Once you have completed the quiz, Uber will send you (via mail) an Airport Vehicle permit, allowing you to pick up passengers at LAX.
This permit must be displayed as follows:
Once you have your LAX permit, follow these rules below to pick up passengers at LAX:
In order to receive pick-up requests, you must be located in the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area (as shown in map below). Once drivers head into the airport area (or Central Terminal Area), they will no longer be able to accept new rides.
After driving into the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area, you will be placed in a queue for the next passenger pick-up request.
The queue is first-in-first-out (‘FIFO’ – the person who has been waiting in the queue the longest will receive the next pick-up request).
Drivers who choose to go offline (or drive outside the TNC Airport Assignment Area) will lose their spot in the queue.
Picks Up at Departure Level:
All pickups MUST take place on the Upper level – i.e., Departures Area (UberX, UberXL, and UberSELECT). Call/Text your passenger to confirm their location & terminal number — tell them you will be picking them up at the upper departures level.
A passenger’s pickup location may be ANYWHERE on the upper departure level (signified by a white curb / rideshare TNC signs).
Circling the terminal is not allowed (Strictly Enforced). Be certain you, and your rider, are ready to meet & depart quickly as you approach the terminal.
LAX departures level gets extremely busy — it is highly recommended that Drivers confirm their passenger’s name & location before beginning their journeys.
4. Drivers: Dropping Off Passengers at LAX
To drop off customers at LAX, simply follow the procedures of a normal Uber ride, and drop off your passenger at their requested departure terminal.